WH Solicitors

Welcome to WH Solicitors. We are happy to help you.

WH Solicitors

Family Visas

Family Visas



Family Visas enables overseas nationals to live with a family member in the UK for more than 6 months.

The Applicants can apply for a family visa to live with their:

  • Spouse or partner
  • Fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner
  • Child
  • Parent
  • Relative who’ll provide long-term care for you



To apply as a partner, the Applicant and their partner both need to be 18 or over.

Their partner must also either:

  • Be a British citizen
  • Have settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • Have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK


Fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

The Applicant must prove that:

  • Any previous marriages or civil partnerships have ended
  • They plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK

The Applicant will get permission to stay in the UK for 2.5 years, or for 6 months if applying as a fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner. After this they’ll need to apply to extend their stay.

Upon meeting the requirements, the Applicant may be eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain after they’ve lived in the UK for 5 years continuously as a partner. (Period stayed as fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner will not count).



The Child Applicant may be eligible to settle in the UK if at least one of their parents has indefinite leave to remain or proof of permanent residence.

If the Child Applicant was born in the UK, they will get the same permission to stay as their parent.

If the Child Applicant was born outside UK, depending on their age and how their parent applied, they may apply for a Family Visa as a Child.



Applicants may apply to live in the UK to care for their child.

The child must either be under 18 on the day of the application or have been under 18 when the Applicant was first granted leave and not live an independent life.

The child must be living in the UK and one of the following must also be true:

  • They’re a British citizen
  • They’ve settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • They’ve lived in the UK for 7 years continuously and it would not be reasonable for them to leave

The Applicant needs to have sole or shared parental responsibility for their child.


Relative who’ll provide long-term care

Applicants who need long-term care from a parent, grandchild, brother, sister, son or daughter who is living permanently in the UK may apply for this visa.

The Applicant’s relative in the UK must be one of the following:

  • They’re a British citizen
  • They’ve settled in the UK – for example, they have indefinite leave to remain, settled status or proof of permanent residence
  • They have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK


Our Fees

Our fees cover all work* required to submit an application to the Home Office at a fixed fee between £1,000.00 – £3,500.00.

If the Applicant is resident in the UK, VAT shall be chargeable at the current rate of 20%.



Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as visa fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.

The likely disbursements are:

Application Fees:

  • Home Office’s Application Fee: £1,523.00 (£3,250.00 for Other Dependant Relative)
  • Home Office’s Extension/Switching Application Fee from inside the UK: £1,033.00
  • NHS Immigration Healthcare Surcharge: £624.00per year
  • Biometric Enrolment Fee: £19.20
  • UKVCAS Fees: Depends on the Application Centre, can range between £0.00 – £200.00
  • Up to date fees can be found at: UK visa fees – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)


What services are included

The work will involve:

  • File opening/Archiving;
  • All correspondences, emails, routine letters, telephone/video calls and meetings;
  • All inherent Administrative works;
  • Continuously assessing and advising the case;
  • Preparation of the Application Form;
  • Submission of the Application Form;
  • Advising on Dependants and the associated works and fees;
  • Providing a Checklist of required supporting/evidential documents;
  • Facilitating with ascertaining the supporting/evidential documents;
  • Where possible, providing Templates of how the supporting documents should appear to be in compliant with the Immigration provisions;
  • Preparing a comprehensive and legally orientated Cover Letter & Submissions, which shall include comprehensive Factual and Legal Submissions;
  • Arranging Application Appointment;
  • Discussing your circumstances in detail and confirming whether this is the most appropriate application for you to make and what other options may be available to you;
  • Providing advice about the requirements of the Immigration Rules and whether you meet the criteria;
  • If you do not fulfil a certain criterion, whether this can be overcome and how.
  • Considering the supporting evidence, you have provided;
  • Where necessary, helping you obtain further evidence;
  • Providing advice regarding the outcome of the Application and any next steps.

*Our fee assumes that:

  • This a new Application and no previous Applications had been made to the Home Office or refusals received.
  • This is a standard case and the matter is concluded in a timely manner and no unforeseen complication arise.

*The costs quoted here do not include:

  • If your matter becomes overly complex and more work is required in order to prepare and submit an Application.
  • We will advise you if further work is required and the increase in our charges.
  • Where the Home Office refuse your Application, advice and assistance in relation to any Administrative Review.


Processing timeframe

We will normally be able to submit this type of Application within 8 weeks of you instructing us.

However, we will let you know at the earliest opportunity if it is likely to take longer than this. We cannot guarantee how long the Home Office will take to process your Application but if you apply outside the UK a decision will usually be made within 12 weeks and if you apply in the UK a decision will usually be made within 8 weeks of your application date if you use the standard service.

There are optional priority fees which can expedite the processing period.

Please see link for up to date timescales for Entry Clearance Applications: Visa decision waiting times: applications outside the UK – GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

WH Solicitors

Global Mobility

The Secondment Worker visa is intended for overseas workers who are taking up a temporary work position in the UK as part of a high-value contract, investment, or project. This is a brand-new visa scheme that was launched by the Government alongside reforms to other types of Global Mobility Visa.

There are strict entry requirements for anyone who wishes to apply for a Secondment Worker visa. This makes it even more important to put forward the strongest possible application with supporting evidence to demonstrate exactly why you qualify and how you’ll be an asset to your employer and the organisation you’ll be on secondment to.

This guide explains more about the Global Business Mobility: Secondment Worker visa. Read on to learn more about how the experienced WH Solicitors team could help you to file a successful visa application.

Contact the Team


H2: What is the Global Business Mobility Visa Scheme?

On 15 March 2022, the UK Government launched a new set of visa schemes under the revised points-based immigration system. The Global Mobility visa scheme was established at this time, and provides skilled workers with a variety of routes to enter and work in the UK for a temporary period.


H2: Global Business Mobility Visa –Requirements for Secondment Workers

To qualify for a Global Business Mobility – Secondment Worker Visa, you will need to show that you meet the relevant requirements. You must:

  • Get a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK employer with a sponsor licence from the Home Office.
  • Have been approved for a secondment to a UK business or organisation that has a contract with your overseas employer for the work that you will do.
  • Have worked for your overseas employer, or a member of the same business group, for at least 12 months before making an application.
  • Have been sponsored for a job that is on the government’s list of eligible occupations.
  • Be paid at least the minimum eligible salary for the role you are taking.
  • Be able to show that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself when you come to the UK.


H2: Getting a Certificate of Sponsorship

To get approved for a Secondment Worker visa, you will need a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK business that has received a sponsorship licence from the Home Office. The sponsorship certificate will provide details of the work that you will do whilst in the UK, and show that your overseas employer is connected to the secondment business by common ownership or control.

In some cases, the Home Office may consider whether there is a genuine need for the job described in the Certificate of Sponsorship. They may also wish to investigate the sponsor’s history with the immigration system to determine whether they are likely to comply with the relevant rules including those relating to pay and working conditions for migrant workers.


H2: Visa Conditions

Once you have been approved for a Secondment Worker visa, you will be able to stay in the UK for the shorter of either a period of 12 months, or for a maximum of 14 days longer than the date shown on your sponsorship certificate.

Whilst in the UK, you will be permitted to work for your sponsor in the job that is described on your certificate of sponsorship, start an educational course and study, bring your dependant partner, spouse or children to the UK if they are eligible, undertake voluntary or charity work, and travel overseas and return to the UK.

Secondment Worker visa holders are not permitted to do the following:

  • apply for public funds, most benefits, or the State Pension;
  • change to another job without updating their visa;
  • take on a second job;
  • apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain to stay in the UK permanently.


H2: How We Can Help

WH Solicitors is a specialist immigration law practice that offers expert advice and practical help that allows businesses and individual migrants to navigate the UK legal system. We make it easy for clients to apply for a visa and assist companies as they apply for a sponsorship licence.

For a personal, professional approach to immigration law, contact our expert team today by calling (+44) 01483 608 786 or by emailing contact@whsolicitors.co.uk.

Contact the Team

Secondment Worker Visa


Yes, all Global Business Mobility visa routes require sponsorship from an employer with a valid sponsorship licence. You will not be able to gain leave to remain as a secondment worker without a valid certificate of sponsorship.

When applying for a Secondment Worker visa, you will usually need to pay:

  • the £259 application fee; and
  • the healthcare surcharge for each year of your stay in the UK.

You will also need to show that you have enough money to support yourself and any dependants when you come to the UK.

If you will not be coming to the UK on secondment for a project or major contract, you will need to apply for leave to remain under another visa category and will not be able to attain a valid certificate of sponsorship.

Applications for a Secondment Worker visa can be made up to 3 months before the day you intend to start work in the UK. This date should be listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

Once your application has been submitted, it could take up to three weeks for a decision to be made if you are applying from outside the UK, or 8 weeks if you’re already in the country.

The contents of this webpage are provided for informational purposes only and are not intended to constitute legal advice. All information is correct as of the date of publication, and any individual or organisation should be careful to seek qualified advice from a specialist immigration lawyer before acting on any of the topics referenced by this content.