Welcome to WH Solicitors. We are happy to help you.

  • Home
  • Marriage Visit Visa

Marriage Visit Visas: Come to the UK to get Married or Register a Civil Partnership

Do you want to come to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership? A Marriage Visit Visa will allow you to do this if you meet the eligibility criteria. Find out more here

If you want to get married or register a civil partnership in the UK, you will need to apply for a Marriage Visit Visa. The same requirement applies if you give notice of a marriage or civil partnership in the UK. You must meet the eligibility requirements and should not be planning to remain in the UK after your wedding or civil partnership. This visa allows you to marry or enter a civil partnership in the UK within six months of arrival. This ceremony must take place at a licensed venue.

What Documents Do You Need to Apply for a Marriage Visit Visa?

You must be over eighteen to apply for a Marriage Visit Visa and not have any impediment to your legal status to give notice to marry in the UK or enter into a civil partnership. This means you must be free to marry and are not in the process of obtaining a divorce or are still married to someone else.

Your relationship must be genuine, and you must intend to stay in the UK for less than six months and leave the UK at the end of your visit. You cannot make the UK your main home even if you marry here or enter into a civil partnership.

You must be able to demonstrate that you can support yourself during your trip or that someone else is doing this for you, like a family member. You’ll also need to be able to pay for your return journey home.

Proving your Identity

As part of the application process, you must make an appointment at a Visa Application Centre to prove your identity. An official will record your biometric information, which includes your fingerprints and photographs. The VAC may keep your documents whilst your application is processed. Sometimes, you can pay a fee and have your application reviewed more quickly.

What Are You Not Allowed to Do on a Marriage Visit Visa?

You may not bring family members, including dependents, with you on a Marriage Visit Visa. You cannot extend your visa or switch to another visa whilst in the UK. You are not allowed to work (unless it pertains to your work or business overseas), study, or claim state benefits.

Do you want to Get Married or Enter into a Civil Partnership in the UK?

UK immigration law is complicated, and your wedding venue provider won’t be able to help you with advice on visa applications, so it can be worth looking for some expert help.

An immigration specialist will handle the whole process, including reviewing your status and eligibility and checking and advising on the documents you’ll need to apply. They can also look after different visa applications for dependents and other family members.

WH Solicitors, the Immigration Professionals You Can Trust

WH Solicitors are expert immigration advisers with many years of experience advising people who want to come to the UK, including those who wish to marry here or register a civil partnership. Our specialist team is supportive and friendly and provides practical advice in a language you will be able to understand.

Why Use WH Solicitors?

WH Solicitors’ team comprises several experienced immigration professionals who can make applying for a Marriage Visit Visa simple and stress-free. Our cost-effective service is quick and efficient, and all the fees are completely transparent with no hidden charges.

Here’s how we can help.

  • Review your situation and check your eligibility
  • Identify and verify the documents required to apply for a Marriage Visit Visa
  • Organise the correct evidence to show appropriate information about the marriage or civil partnership, such as details of the booking at an approved venue and proof that you have paid some money towards the cost of the ceremony
  • Review and verify proof that you are free to marry or enter into a civil partnership if you have been married before, including authentic evidence of divorce or the death of a previous spouse
  • Arrange for legalised translations of documents that are not in English or Welsh
  • Submit an online application
  • Represent you throughout the entire process, including dealing with any queries from the Home Office
  • Handle the Marriage Visitor Visa application for your partner if required and Standard Visitor Visa applications for any children

Frequently Asked Questions

I want to convert my existing civil partnership into a marriage. Do I need a Marriage Visit Visa?

If you already have a UK civil partnership, then you can convert this into a marriage without applying for a Marriage Visit Visa. The correct visa in this situation is a Standard Visitor Visa.

How long can you stay in the UK on a Marriage Visit Visa?

You can stay in the UK for up to six months on a Marriage Visit Visa.

How much does a Marriage Visit Visa cost?

It costs £115 to apply for a Marriage Visit Visa. You can apply in the three-month window before you are due to travel, but no earlier. Applications take about three weeks to process once you have provided your identity documents. Some centres offer a fast-track service that can significantly reduce the approval time, although there will be an additional charge on top of the usual fee.

Can I marry in the UK on a Standard Visitor Visa?

One of the things you can’t do on a Standard Visitor Visa is get married in the UK or enter into a Civil Partnership. You can only do this on a Marriage Visit Visa.

Get in Touch

Contact WH Solicitors for expert advice and support on applying for a Marriage Visit Visa. We will coordinate the application, act as your representative throughout the process, and represent your case with the Home Office. Let us do all the hard work and take the worry and stress out of your Marriage Visit Visa application. Our fees are reasonable and completely transparent, so you’ll know how much it will cost before we start work.

The contents of this webpage are provided for informational purposes only and are not intended to constitute legal advice. All information is correct as of the date of publication, and any individual or organisation should be careful to seek qualified advice from a specialist immigration lawyer before acting on any of the topics referenced by this content.