Welcome to WH Solicitors. We are happy to help you.

WH Solicitors

Global Mobility

The Secondment Worker visa is intended for overseas workers who are taking up a temporary work position in the UK as part of a high-value contract, investment, or project. This is a brand-new visa scheme that was launched by the Government alongside reforms to other types of Global Mobility Visa.

There are strict entry requirements for anyone who wishes to apply for a Secondment Worker visa. This makes it even more important to put forward the strongest possible application with supporting evidence to demonstrate exactly why you qualify and how you’ll be an asset to your employer and the organisation you’ll be on secondment to.

This guide explains more about the Global Business Mobility: Secondment Worker visa. Read on to learn more about how the experienced WH Solicitors team could help you to file a successful visa application.

Contact the Team


H2: What is the Global Business Mobility Visa Scheme?

On 15 March 2022, the UK Government launched a new set of visa schemes under the revised points-based immigration system. The Global Mobility visa scheme was established at this time, and provides skilled workers with a variety of routes to enter and work in the UK for a temporary period.


H2: Global Business Mobility Visa –Requirements for Secondment Workers

To qualify for a Global Business Mobility – Secondment Worker Visa, you will need to show that you meet the relevant requirements. You must:

  • Get a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK employer with a sponsor licence from the Home Office.
  • Have been approved for a secondment to a UK business or organisation that has a contract with your overseas employer for the work that you will do.
  • Have worked for your overseas employer, or a member of the same business group, for at least 12 months before making an application.
  • Have been sponsored for a job that is on the government’s list of eligible occupations.
  • Be paid at least the minimum eligible salary for the role you are taking.
  • Be able to show that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself when you come to the UK.


H2: Getting a Certificate of Sponsorship

To get approved for a Secondment Worker visa, you will need a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from a UK business that has received a sponsorship licence from the Home Office. The sponsorship certificate will provide details of the work that you will do whilst in the UK, and show that your overseas employer is connected to the secondment business by common ownership or control.

In some cases, the Home Office may consider whether there is a genuine need for the job described in the Certificate of Sponsorship. They may also wish to investigate the sponsor’s history with the immigration system to determine whether they are likely to comply with the relevant rules including those relating to pay and working conditions for migrant workers.


H2: Visa Conditions

Once you have been approved for a Secondment Worker visa, you will be able to stay in the UK for the shorter of either a period of 12 months, or for a maximum of 14 days longer than the date shown on your sponsorship certificate.

Whilst in the UK, you will be permitted to work for your sponsor in the job that is described on your certificate of sponsorship, start an educational course and study, bring your dependant partner, spouse or children to the UK if they are eligible, undertake voluntary or charity work, and travel overseas and return to the UK.

Secondment Worker visa holders are not permitted to do the following:

  • apply for public funds, most benefits, or the State Pension;
  • change to another job without updating their visa;
  • take on a second job;
  • apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain to stay in the UK permanently.


H2: How We Can Help

WH Solicitors is a specialist immigration law practice that offers expert advice and practical help that allows businesses and individual migrants to navigate the UK legal system. We make it easy for clients to apply for a visa and assist companies as they apply for a sponsorship licence.

For a personal, professional approach to immigration law, contact our expert team today by calling (+44) 01483 608 786 or by emailing contact@whsolicitors.co.uk.

Contact the Team

Secondment Worker Visa


Yes, all Global Business Mobility visa routes require sponsorship from an employer with a valid sponsorship licence. You will not be able to gain leave to remain as a secondment worker without a valid certificate of sponsorship.

When applying for a Secondment Worker visa, you will usually need to pay:

  • the £259 application fee; and
  • the healthcare surcharge for each year of your stay in the UK.

You will also need to show that you have enough money to support yourself and any dependants when you come to the UK.

If you will not be coming to the UK on secondment for a project or major contract, you will need to apply for leave to remain under another visa category and will not be able to attain a valid certificate of sponsorship.

Applications for a Secondment Worker visa can be made up to 3 months before the day you intend to start work in the UK. This date should be listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

Once your application has been submitted, it could take up to three weeks for a decision to be made if you are applying from outside the UK, or 8 weeks if you’re already in the country.

The contents of this webpage are provided for informational purposes only and are not intended to constitute legal advice. All information is correct as of the date of publication, and any individual or organisation should be careful to seek qualified advice from a specialist immigration lawyer before acting on any of the topics referenced by this content.

WH Solicitors

Permitted Paid Engagement

Permitted Paid Engagement Visas: Everything You Need to Know

You can visit the UK for up to one month if an organisation or client based in the UK has invited you as an expert within your profession. This is called permitted paid engagement and is a short-term visitor visa. Visitors don’t need to obtain sponsorship under the points-based immigration system.

The Eligibility Requirements for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

There are six key criteria, and these are:-

  • You must be aged eighteen or over
  • The visit must be scheduled for no longer than one month
  • You must have a formal invitation from a UK-based organisation for an engagement or to attend an event which must relate directly to your expertise and qualifications and the work you do in your own country
  • You must receive payment for the visit
  • Demonstrate that you can support yourself financially during your stay in the UK either with your own money or because you are being supported by someone else
  • You must provide proof of any business or other activities you will carry out in the UK. The Visitor Rules contain more information about what you can do

Legitimate Activities on a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

Here is what you are allowed to do.

  • Be an assessor or student examiner
  • Take part in selection panels based on your academic qualifications and record
  • Lecture at a higher education college, university, or other institution
  • Examine and assess UK pilots to ascertain whether they meet the standards of training and proficiency required by your own country
  • Provide advocacy services in a legal specialism
  • Participate in entertainment, arts, or sporting activities, including broadcasting
  • Take part in modelling assignments within the fashion industry

The regulations permit other minor activities around the primary purpose of the visit, such as attending conferences or meetings and giving interviews.

Applying for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa

Applying for a Paid Permitted Engagement Visa is done online. All applications must be made from outside the UK; you cannot apply from within the UK. You’ll need to make an appointment at a VAC – Visa Application Centre – to prove your identity and submit documentation to support your visa.

Some VACs offer a Priority service, which processes applications in five working days, or a Super Priority service, which handles the application within twenty-four hours.

To support your application, you’ll need your current passport, which must remain valid for the entire stay, a formal invitation from the UK organisation contracting your services, and evidence of your professional status in your own country on which the invitation is based.

The invitation letter must clarify why and how long you have been invited. People working in the sports sector or arts and entertainment may need to submit more evidence, like proof of recent performances or media coverage.

Is a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa Right for Your Needs?

Choosing the correct route to enter the UK can be challenging as there are many different kinds of visas. Even if you are proficient in English, the regulations are complex and difficult.

Using an immigration professional takes the stress and worry out of applying for a Paid Permitted Engagement Visa. A visa expert can help navigate the different hurdles and provide advice and guidance about all aspects of your application and the broader landscape of staying in the UK.

WH Solicitors, Experts in Immigration Visas

WH Solicitors are specialists in immigration matters, including Permitted Paid Engagement Visas. Our friendly and approachable team offers practical advice and a cost-effective service.

Why Use WH Solicitors?

WH Solicitors are experts in immigration, including applications for Permitted Paid Engagement Visas. We are experienced in navigating the UK immigration system and can make the whole experience less stressful and confusing. Our immigration specialists are approachable and friendly and explain everything in simple terms. Our prices are fair and transparent, with no hidden extras.

Here’s how we can help.

  • Assess your circumstances, including whether your planned activity is allowed in the UK
  • Check whether you meet the eligibility requirements
  • Review your documentation and proof of identity before your appointment at a Visa Application Centre, including whether you’ll need any additional evidence to demonstrate your role, such as a letter from your current employer
  • Arrange for translation, legalisation, or notarisation services if required for foreign language documents
  • Submit your online application
  • Manage your case from start to finish, including any requests for more information from the Home Office
  • Provide guidance on what you can and cannot do in the UK under a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa
  • Give information on other visas which may be more appropriate now and for future planned travel to the UK
  • Help with visas for partners and children

Frequently Asked Questions


What activities are not allowed under a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

You cannot stay in the UK for over a month or extend the visa. Taking on other paid work unrelated to your primary job and the purpose of your visit is prohibited. You cannot claim state benefits, rely on public funds, or study. You cannot bring family members with you (they have to apply for their own visa), and you may not marry or register a civil partnership.

When should I apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

The earliest point at which you can apply is three months before you intend to travel to the UK. Decisions are swift, and the Home Office will usually respond within three weeks of receipt of your application.

How much does it cost to apply for a Permitted Paid Engagement Visa?

The fee is £115. If you use a priority service at the Visa Application Centre, then this will incur additional costs.

Get in Touch

Contact WH Solicitors for expert advice from a friendly immigration specialist. We will manage your visa application from beginning to end and deal with the Home Office on your behalf. Our rates are affordable and transparent.

The contents of this webpage are provided for informational purposes only and are not intended to constitute legal advice. All information is correct as of the date of publication, and any individual or organisation should be careful to seek qualified advice from a specialist immigration lawyer before acting on any of the topics referenced by this content.